A simple answer the to the question what is health education can be equated to the promotion of health, through learning experiences and activities, which will enable the prevention of diseases as well as disabilities along with early deaths through activities that are driven from education that teaches people how to change their habits. The health education that specialist teach is considered a social science that utilizes different categories of science that include; environmental and biological, mental, psychological and mental, all of which are to be combined into education that will enable one to make the right choices which will lead to better or optimal health.
What Is Health Education – Job Duties
The above was a generic overview when it comes to what health education is, below is a detailed list of exactly what teachers teach to their students. This job description list will detail various different duties, all of which are taught in different workplaces as a health specialist will work in places like; organizations in the community, health care organizations, company employment, schools and universities.
- Designing and evaluating as well as the development of different programs that educate on anything from; weight loss, correct eating habits, disease prevention and early detection, managing different types of stress as well as depression, building and maintaining health relationships, quitting or limiting smoking habits, working out, abuse of drugs, the prevention of physical assault, sexual education and avoiding sexually transmitted diseases, managing time in the day, medical operations and procedures.
- Writing up grants as well as funding proposals that will enable one to be able to fund the education program.
- Provide people with referrals to other health education resources.
- Gather information on exactly what the needs are of individuals as well as the community.
- Creating campaigns that will market the education program which can include flyers, social media campaigns, radio announcements, and word of mouth.
- Write different articles explaining how to lead a healthier life.
- Networking with other programs that also have the same vision of educating people on becoming healthier.
- Working with companies to assist them in meeting regulations related to health and safety.
- Empowering individuals, groups and communities to take the knowledge and make the best use of it, and to keep at it.
This is the major duties what it comes to what is health education, which teaching is taught to individuals as well as small and large crowds and can be done through seminars, audio training and write ups.
How to Become A Health Specialist
In order to start working as a health education specialists, one must fulfill the following requirements:
- At least a bachelors degree in wellness studies or similar, although it is advised for those who are looking to advance, to have a masters degree.
- Optional, but another credential that is looked upon highly is passing the Certified Health Education Specialist examination which consists of 165 multiple choice questions which all touch upon the Seven Areas of Responsibility for Health Education Specialists. This certification status also requires commitment to 75 hours of what is called “Continuing Education Contact Hours (CECH) every 5 years.
This is the main overview of what health education consists of, hopefully it provided the answer you were looking for out of your what is health education.