The average health education specialist salary, which is a median sum of the entire US, is currently at $51,820 per year according to Salary.com. This number can range drastically though as there are various different specialties that offer much higher salaries, some over $100,000. For example, according to whatishealtheducation.org, the health education specialist salary can be seen in ranges for different specialities of:
- Public Health Practice – $41,175 – $102,000
- Environmental health – $44,550 – $143,700
- Health Services Administration – $37,050 – $161,400
- Biomedical Laboratory – $31,500 – $78,750
- Biostatistics – $30,500 – $70,875
- International Health – $31,500 – $86,625
- Epidemiology – $38,175 – $136,237
What Determines The Health Education Specialist Salary
Now that you know the difference in income one would make by going into a certain specialty, there are a few other factors that also have part in what you will earn as a health education specialist. Some of these factors are;
- Geography – Where you live always has a pretty big influence on the health education specialist salary, or for any profession for that matter. Usually the salary is bumped up for those living in bigger cities to adjust to the cost of living. Like for example the, according to Indeed.com, the average health education specialist salary in Atlanta is at $80,000 per year.
- Demand – The demand of health education specialists will give one much better earning potential, which this factor is only going to help those looking to get into the career as the Bureau of Labor Statistics states that between the years of 2008 and 2018, there will be an increase in employment of 18 percent. This job outlook growth percentage is higher than the average of any other profession, which is mostly due to the fact the healthcare costs are incredibly high, which results in people looking for alternative treatment and assistance.
- Work Experience – As one gathers more work experience and knowledge, they will be able to negotiate the salary to a certain extent, as well as employers will pay you more being that you are highly qualified.
Education Requirements For Health Education Specialists
In order to start earning a salary as a health education specialist, one must complete the following requirements:
- A minimum of a Bachelors Degree in studies like health science or health education or similar. Although a Bachelors Degree is the minimum requirements, it is highly suggested the one attains a Masters Degree if they intend advancing in their career as well as bettering their chances of earning more money in the health education specialist profession.
- Aside from getting a degree, certain certification statuses can both help get you a job as well as boost your health education specialist salary. The major certification course for health education specialists is; The National Commission for Health Education Inc which offers a test that grants the title of Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES). They also have their Masters Certified Health Education Specialist test which is a higher level of certification. In order to stay certified after passing either exam, one must commit 75 Continuing Education Contact Hours which can be done through educational programs like; conferences, seminars, courses, training programs, as well as programs for self study.